Friday 6 April 2012

Curious and Funny Thing!


http://pinterest.com/ is my new found internet obsession. I'm not exactly sure why. This particular meme more or less sums it up!

Well, not that bad.. yet! Thankfully I caught on early that I might be more vulnerable than usual to the addictive-ness exactly because I can't figure out why/what is the attraction. Well, the initial pull was easily explained. They had a lot of DIYs which is a special weakness of mine. Gimme satin, paper,scissors and glue, leave me in an uncluttered corner and I'd be happy as a clam. The only easier way to make me happier is to put me away with a book in the same corner.. on my bean bag! :)

Anyways, started out by trying a few of the paper crafts and stashing away idea for future projects. But then the number of boards gradually grew. Score so far :10 ; which is not as bad as some of other I saw ! For now! Started collecting ideas for places and spaces, things I might use as inspiration to draw, yummy recipes I certainly doubt I'll try and of course, my favorite, the dream wardrobe collection which would, in all reality, stay a dream!

The curious thing is when I started I dint think it would mean much. It seemed the equivalent of an online scrapbook, nothing more. Well, it still doesn't mean a lot, but it did surprise me with a few things about me. Few things were a reinforcement of what I already knew about myself. Like the clothes I like. I love deep, bold colors over patterns. Simple cuts and styles are preferred. But accessories  need to be delicate and detailed. Nothing new there.

But when searching for inspiration to draw, that's a different story. Because I dint expect any particular pattern to emerge, but there it was. And being someone who needs to analyse every tiny detail of her life and rationalise why, it left me with a couple of curious questions. I found myself drawn to doorways. Show me a pathway, or stairs or anything which connects two different spaces and I wanted it on my board. Windows don't appeal, walls don't appeal.. no matter how pretty. Sometimes I wonder if it's because that's roughly where I am in life. At a threshold, both professionally and personally. And I'm looking for the freedom to move to any of the different opportunities which are present for me. And doorways are the perfect symbols to represent that.

Another thing which I found curious was the kind of people and faces that I wanted to draw. In all the free hand drawing I did, I never drew hands, only faces( that too abstract most of the times, and if there was a focus, it'd be on eyes). But when I started pinning, I found myself drawn, in stead, to lips. And picture where the limbs frame the person. I don't know what it means yet, but somehow I feel there's been a gradual yet definite shift in the kind of person I was to who I am today. And I don't know how, when these shifts happened. And I din't expect to find it through, of all things, Pinterest!

Self discovery is a funny, curious thing. It's not easy for sure. For better or for worse, we find it difficult to accept changes especially in the way we view ourselves. So most of the time we attribute the change to someone else's personality. How many times do we say 'She's not the same anymore' without giving a thought to the fact that we are not the same anymore either?!

But, at the end of the day I think it's a necessary evil. Some things might be sweet, but most are likely to be bittersweet, things you find out. But I still rather know if only for the fact that it might be the only way I'll get to change what I don't like. Or stick to it stubbornly ( which sounds more likely in my case! :-P ) And the fact that knowledge is power and self discovery might be the most effective way of empowering yourself for/against yourself!

Anyways, it's random ramble. More a reminder to self that we need to look into ourselves more often and we might just surprise ourselves. And that pinterest is fun! :D

No comments :

Post a Comment

Visit blogadda.com to discover Indian blogs