Tuesday 3 January 2012

Be Kind, Rewind... Chapter 1

This is something I had written in 2008. Just revisiting some of old stuff I had written to family and friends. I could not help post something about 2012 I had written :-/

You are likely to see more on these line, hence the chapter 1!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anyways, yesterday when I came back home I found Farah( my then room mate!) checking out a history channel program about bible codes. I dint follow it very well, but it seems when you take the original version of the bible( ie in hebrew) and arrange the words in a particular manner , it seems to predict history. Blah blah blah and more stuff I dont really buy,but what did catch my attention though is according to that it seems our end is coming around year 2012! so just four more years to go. Not that I believe it the way they mean it, but I cant help wondering if the life as we know it is going to exist in maybe ,say 10 years time?

Have you come across Future Shock, by Alvin Toffler? He talks about how we are not able to keep up with technological evolution happening around us. And not just the evolution but it's consequences. Every time I see a report about how we are inching our way to our graves( and there are more than plenty around) I cant help wonder why is that we still dont care. It is so hard to get even my friends to remember not to litter or not to waste. Frankly speaking at the rate we are moving I think only 20 more years, at the max.  That's about all the time, I believe, would be worth living on this planet. Already we are paying for water. At what point do we start paying for air? I think sometime soon a convention is going to happened, sponsored I think by the U.N, just to discuss what we are going to do with the billions of cellphones discarded each year. 10 years ago this was not even a reality, leave alone a serious issue. And in another 2 years, we'll be facing newer and worse problems.


Have I told you about drake's equation? I had read about it quite a few months ago. Anyways drake suggested that a large number of extraterrestrial civilizations would form, but that the lack of evidence of such civilizations suggests that technological civilizations tend to destroy themselves rather quickly. Sounds like where we are going or what? Quality of life on the planet has never been shorter for any generation like for the present one( in terms of fresh air, water, food). Sorry for just rambling on like this but I'm just getting more and more paranoid as each day passes. And in a funny way, I'm almost looking forward for the comet on dec 31st 2012( that's how we are gonna die! :-P) so that the rest of the planet might have a fresh start.  Face it, there was never as obnoxious a species like us before in the history of this planet. And think in such a lot of ways we have always left it a bit worse than how we found it. Like Athi always say, cant wait for it to go to the dogs!! :-)


-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
 In the mean time I had seen 'Home' on Youtube a couple of days back, a documentary on our planet. The visuals are beyond stunning, esp the first 15 mins. Just some food for thought that we could all take a stab at! :-)

2 comments :

  1. Hehe...so did you see a comet on 31st Dec? I guess you saw a lot of fireworks instead as usual! :-D

    Now whether the world will come to an end? I don't think it will end in a big bang fashion. I think it just means that everyone's 'world' will come to an end eventually...not given too much thought on this actually...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehe.. If I did see a comet we would not sitting and writing these comments I guess! :-) :-P

    And I like this guy's take on things for world ending prophesies! :-)
    http://leasticoulddo.com/comic/20111231

    ReplyDelete

Visit blogadda.com to discover Indian blogs